My Ballet Exam

Today, the 11th of August, I did my ballet exam with the students in my ballet class. There are four of us. There were 26 dances we had to memorise and perform in front of our examiner and pianist.

When I arrived I had butterflies in my stomach but I knew I was going to do well even if I made a couple of mistakes. I was nervous and excited. I have done exams before so I knew what it felt like.

We had our hair done in a bun. It wasn’t just a bun, it was very special.

My Bun

In the exam we did the barre exercises first, then the centre exercises and last we did our dances and Reverance.  Our Reverance is where we do a dance/exercise where we thank the examiner and the pianist.

Me in one of my ballet positions

My favourite dance was the character dance because there were so many different steps in it. It was a good challenge. Press on the link to find the character dance on youtube: Character dance

My favourite exercise would probably be Battements Tendus because when you point your toe it has to be really sharp and fast if you want to be in time with the music. If you don’t know how to pronounce Battements Tendus you say it like this: bat-mon ton-due.

Me standing in one of my positions again

I think the hardest exercise would probably be Pas De Chat. You have to jump really high and make your legs and arms go in a certain position. You pronounce Pas De Chat like this: Pa-De-Sha.

I also thought Hop Steps were hard because when you try it out you think it’s a hop but you are not allowed to take the foot you are standing on off the ground.

Another Position

My best friend Millie was doing the exam with me. We have done ballet together for ages.

Comment on: 

Do you have any questions for me about ballet?

Have you done any exams before?

What after school activities do you do?

21 thoughts on “My Ballet Exam

1. Dear Skye,

Once again, another high quality post! It was interesting to read about the various dances and exercises you have learnt. Including the youtube click was a good idea too! I like your hair bun, very fancy! 🙂

I remember when you had your ballet exams back in Grade Two. It is terrific you have remained committed to your ballet lessons and I am sure you are a wonderful ballerina!

I have never done ballet before so I’ve never had to do ballet exams. I did lots of exams during high school and university. I played the flute in high school and had a couple of music exams. Exams always made me feel a bit nervous, and there is a sense of relief when they’re over!

Do you have any goals with your ballet, Skye?

Your teacher,
    Miss Jordan

• Dear Miss Jordan,

Thanks for leaving a superb comment on my blog! I appreciate it! Thanks for all of the nice compliments. 🙂

I was the last one in my group to get my bun done (that rhymes) so I knew what it was going to look like. When my bun was finished I was like wow!

I love ballet but I don’t know if I am going to continue after the concert. I think I might though because the exams and concerts are fun it’s just that I want to try something different.

I agree, there is a sense of relief when the exam is over! I think I did pretty well in my exam. I just made a mistake in one exercise.

I don’t think I have any goals for ballet. I might think of some. ❓

Did you look at the Character dance on YouTube?

Skye

2. Dear Skye,
    that must have been very hard! I could never do that. When I was younge (about seven years) I did Ballet. But I quit because it was’nt even dance, well sort of. We were told to be like butterflys, we waved our arms up and down welst running around. Then the teacher put on pop music. What part of ballet is that.
    Then a year later my little sister started doing tap dancing, for two weeks! 🙂 She was very good at it but stopped because her friend moved to a different class.

And yes, I have done an exam, it was for dressage (horse riding) .
    It must have been tricky to do that bun!

Your friend,
    Bronte :mrgreen: 😛

• Dear Bronte,

Thanks for leaving a wonderful comment on my blog! I appreciate it when you leave comments on my blog!

The exam wasn’t that hard. I have done about 2 or 3 exams before so I know what it feels like.

At my ballet we do ballet and jazz. Jazz is sort of like pop music. I think the ballet that you went to also had jazz. We only do jazz for our concert.

How did your exam go for Dressage?

Skye

• Dear Skye,
        thanks for replying to me!
        Well the exam is sort of like a test. There are different levels, grade five (one of the easiest), grade four (a bit more challenging) and so on. The lower the number, the more advanced.

Your friend,
        Bronte. :mrgreen:
        P.S I’ve only done one so far.

3. Hi Skye,
    loved your photos,your hair bun was very elegant.
    I liked how you explained your dance and exercise and how to pronounce the words.
    Looking forward to your concert,
    Love Gran x

• Dear Gran,

Thanks for leaving a wonderful comment on my blog! 🙂 Also, thanks for all of the compliments.

I’m glad you liked this post, I put a lot of work into it!

Love from your granddaughter,
      Skye

4. Dear Skye,

WOW I am speechless, this post is so amazing!
    I really love this post so much and it also sounds like you had a great ballet exam.

I have actually never done an exam before well not a ballet exam. My brtother and sister have done alot of exams but not ballet ones school ones. I wonder what both exams are like?

Now after school activitys,
    well I only do one after school activity and that is soccer training. But on Sunday morning I have my soccer game. But we are busy everyday of the week because of my brother and sister.

Now I do have a couple of questions for you here I go.

Are the ballet exams fun?

How long do the ballet exams go for?

Do you get marks after the exam?

See you soon,
    your friend
    Jess 😆

• Dear Jess,

Thanks for leaving a marvellous comment on my blog! I really, really appreciate it! Also, thanks for all of the compliments.

I am sure that in high school you do heaps of exams. Yikes!

I hope your soccer is going well. I do ballet and netball, my brother does swimming and Auskick. My only free day is Monday.

1. The exams are very fun. You are nervous but at the end you are relieved.

2. The older you are the more dances you do. The exam went for 45 minutes.

3.Yes, I do get marks. We will get them sonn.

Skye

5. Dear skye,
    hi skye ,
    wow great post
    when did you start ballet ?
    how did you get to like ballet?
    well nice work
    bye brooklyn

• Dear Brooklyn,

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a great comment. I really appreciate it. 🙂

I started ballet when I was in 4 year old kinder. I was three but then turned four.

I started ballet because when I was three my mum and dad wanted to get me doing an activity. We new a girl called Jess (not Jess in our class) who did ballet and then I ended up doing ballet.

Skye

6. Dear Skye,

What a great idea for a post. It was magnificent!

Since I did the ballet exam with you, I know excatly what happened. It was really fun.

I really liked how our hair was done for the exam. We all looked very grown up with the plaits twisted into a bun in our hair.

My favourite exercise would probably Pas de Chat, Battements Tendus with Demi de Tourne and all the character exercises.

Like you, I thought that Pas de Chat was the hardest exercise. I also thought that Balances were a bit tricky when we first learnt them.

I believe thatthe positions you are standing are first position with braba, third postion with arms in fourth postion and finally your feet are in tranfer of weight position with arms in demi second.

I remember when both started ballet together. Those were good days…

See ya later,
    Millie

• Dear Millie,

Thanks for leaving a long, quality comment on my blog! I appreciate it. Also, thanks for all of the compliments.

Yes, I agree! The ballet exam was fun even though I was a bit nervous at the start.

Our hair was done in a beautiful way. It was such a creative idea.

I liked all of the those exercises too. They were all pretty fun though.

I guess Balances was a bit hard when you first started off but once you get the hang of it it’s quite graceful and fun.

I think you are right with all of the positions I am standing in. I think I needed to bend my arms a bit my when it was in rubar.

You are hilarious!

From your BFF,
      Skye

7. Dear Skye,

I do ballet too! I will be doing my exam in four days! I’ll be doing grade 6. I’m pink in my exam group. What are you? I’ve always been pink.

I have done ballet ever since I was three. That’s 10 years I’ve been doing ballet!

I’m also setting my flute exam in three days. That will be grade 2.

Wish me luck,
    Molly

• Dear Molly,

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! It was marvellous. How did you find my blog?

Wow! You are in grade six ballet. I am in grade three but in grade four at school. I’ve been pink for all of my exams except this one. I was white.

I was four when I started ballet. I have improved from then and I am sure you have too.

Good luck on your exams!

Skye

• Dear Skye,

I love leaving comments on other people’s blog. I have my own blog too. If you want to find it search this: http://miss-mollys-blog.blogspot.co.nz/ I found your blog through my classes blog. Room 24 2012. I’m a part of that class and my teacher (Miss McLeod) has given me my very own blog!

I have my mock exam for ballet today. I’m not that nervous though, I’ve done this plenty of times. I just can’t get this scarf thing we have to do in free movement. The scarves are so floppy!

You are such a wonderful dancer looking at that video, keep up the good effort.

Your kiwi friend,
        Molly

• Dear Molly,

Thanks for replying to me straight away!

Your teacher, Miss McLeod has left a comment on my blog before.

That wasn’t me in the YouTube video, it was someone else. But I did that same character dance in my exam. 🙂

From your Aussie friend,
          Skye

• Hi Skye,

Well, I’m sure you dance better than her anyways! I’ve commented on your new post. We can carry on from there if you’d like!

Your mate,
            Molly

8. Hi Skye,
    I’ve never done an exam before, but I am hoping to do one next year, I was wondering if you do the exam with everyone else or if you have to go in individually to get examined?
    Thanks