Grade Four

Grade four has been marvellous!

I have enjoyed everything in grade four so far. It is nearly the end of term two, I think there is about two weeks left. In term one the grade four topic was ‘Australia’. This term it is ‘Bike Ed’ as you would know from my other post. In Bike Ed you learn about road safety and the things you need to have on bikes.

In America they have just started their Summer Break. I’m just in the middle of my school year and in America they have finished their school year. That’s what happens though.

Here is a poll, you can vote:

Here is a list of things I have enjoyed so far:

Bike Ed

Reading Groups

Writing narratives

Vertical subtraction and addition

Blogging

Money

RACV (Royal Automobile Club, Victoria) Street Scene

Poetry

and

all of the projects we have done!

I have enjoyed heaps this term. I have a wonderful teacher and her name is Miss Jordan. She was my teacher in grade two and now I have her again! I was so happy when I found out she would be my Grade Four teacher.

Here is a photo of Miss Jordan and I at the end of grade two:

Comment on:

What do you like doing at school?

What grade are you in?

15 thoughts on “Grade Four

1. Dear Skye,

I enjoyed reading this informative post. It is great to hear that you are enjoying Grade Four so much. The first two terms have gone very quickly and we have learnt lots of new things together.

Some of the things I have enjoyed so far this year include:

* The Tale Trail collaborative project
    * Some students earning their own blogs
    * Family Blogging Month
    * Reading, writing and maths lessons
    * Our Bike Ed sessions

I’m so glad I have you in my class for the second time. I was very excited when I found out that you would be in 4KJ in 2012! It’s always nice to teach students that you already know.

I am sure we will continue to have lots of fun in the second half of the year! What do you hope to learn about in Term Three? I am looking forward to going on camp with you and all of the other students in 4KJ and 4KM. How exciting!

Your teacher (for the second time!),
    Miss Jordan

• Dear Miss Jordan,

Thanks for leaving a terrific comment on this post. You are a fabulous teacher and blogger. I’m lucky to have you again. Do you think you’re going to teach grade four next year?

Yes, I sure have learnt many things. Did you like the photo of you and me?

I enjoyed doing the Tale Trail, I thought it was a fabulous idea. Other people should do it! Do you think they should? I have enjoyed everything we have done. You and Mrs Morris do great planning.

Thanks for those compliments. 😀

I am really looking forward to Bike Ed Camp. It will be fun sleeping in cabins with our friends and doing fun activites. I am also looking forward to learning new things.

Do you have a favourite subject to teach?

From your student,
      Skye

• Dear Skye,

Thanks for the reply. In answer to your question, I haven’t really thought a lot about next year but it makes sense for me to teach Grade Four again. I am really enjoying it this year! We’ll have to see!

It would be great for other classes to do a similar project to the Tale Trail. Who would have thought we’d be writing a narrative with students from all around the world?!

It’s a lovely photo of us on your last day of Grade Two. I remember when your mum took that picture after our final assembly in the courtyard. You look a lot younger…and maybe I do too! 🙂

I’m glad you enjoy the activities Mrs Morris and I plan. We always try to think of enjoyable activities that will help all of the students improve their skills. I enjoy teaching all subjects but my favourites would probably be literacy and anything to do with technology.

Your teacher,
        Miss Jordan

• Dear Miss Jordan,

Thanks for you marvellous reply! I enjoyed finding out your answers to my questions. 🙂

If you do teach grade four you wil probably get some of the students you had in grade two. If you teach grade six the year after, I will hope to get you.

Yes, it is amazing to write stories with other classes from around the world.

I liked the photo as well. You looked very pretty! I can’t really tell if I looked younger. You haven’t really changed. Maybe a tiny bit. Have you still got that outfit you were wearing on the day?

I love technology. There is so much of it. I also like Literacy! The name Literacy Block is great. Did you come up with the name?

Skye

• Dear Skye,

This is a nice little conversation we’re having. 🙂

I do have that outfit I was wearing. I have that white cardigan and the black top. I can’t see what else I’m wearing but I have a feeling it’s the cargo-like brownish/greyish skirt that I actually wore last week! (I wore it with black stockings last week because it’s so cold!)

I didn’t come up with the name “Literacy Block”. I learnt that title when I was at university. I remember learning all about how the two hour literacy block had to include reading and writing. Now I’ve been doing the Literacy Block with students for eight and a half years! It’s changed over that time though, and we now include more technology and blogging into the activities.

Do you think you’ll go to university?

Your teacher,
            Miss Jordan

2. Dear Miss Jordan,

Thanks for replying to me. Yes, we are having a conversations.

The clothes you were wearing was pretty. Those colours look wonderful on you.

The literacy block is a great idea. It’s good you use the literacy block idea at school. Does any other teachers do the literacy block?

I want to be a teacher when I grow up so if I still want to be one I will go to university. When I was younger I wanted to be a nurse but I have changed what I want to be.

If you weren’t a teacher what would you be?

Skye 😀

• Dear Skye,

Thank you, what a nice compliment. I tend to wear a lot of black (like lots of people do!) so I should probably buy some more colourful clothes. 🙂

Most classes do a literacy block, but maybe the teachers call it something different. I really like the structure of the literacy block because the students quickly learn the routine so they know what to do and what is expected of them.

My sister is a nurse, she enjoys it. At university I did a double degree, which was primary teaching and arts degree. I majored in journalism for my arts degree. So if I wasn’t a teacher, maybe I’d be a journalist!

Your teacher,
      Miss Jordan

• Dear Miss Jordan,

Thanks for replying to me! We are having a long conversation, one of the longest I have had. If this conversation continues it will be even longer.

I wear a lot of black. I have a lot of clothes that are black. My mum said a lot of colours suits me.

It is a great routine to do. I love literacy. It is one of my favourite subjects at school. You do so many things in it.

I remember in grade two you told us your sister was a nurse. My nanny used to be a nurse. Now she doesn’t work. I think she would have been a great one. She is so caring.

Did you go to Deakin University? I probably will if I want to become a teacher.

Skye

• Dear Skye,

I also love literacy. When I was at primary school my very favourite thing to do was read books and write stories. I often wish I remembered more of what I did at primary school to compare it with what we do now. Some things I do remember are:

* Times tables races
          * Book reports
          * Writing dictation
          * Writing maths equations from the board
          * Handwriting every day
          * Doing projects
          * Going on camp
          * Doing Bike Ed

We certainly didn’t have iPods, iPads, interactive whitebards or netbooks when I was at primary school!

I did go to Deakin University. I knew for years that I wanted to go to Deakin in Geelong. You know me, I like to be organised! 🙂 There are no universities in the country where my family lives so I knew I would have to move.

Your teacher,
          Miss Jordan

• Dear Miss Jordan,

Thanks for replying to me. We are having an enormous conversation. 😀

One of my favourite things to do at school is writing narratives. I said that in my student comment on my report.

It sounds like yolu had a fun time when you were at school. You would have never known what IWB were. School days have changed for nearly everyone.

My mum is very organised as well.

From your student,
            Skye

P.S. My mum and dad loved my report

3. Dear Skye,

I really enjoy visiting your blog, you have very interesting posts that get people thinking and talking.

Of course you know what Grade I’m in, I’m in yours! At school I like to do:
    ~ Reading
    ~ Writing
    ~ Blogging (Of course)
    ~ Sport
    ~ Maths
    ~ Having Miss Jordan as a teacher and great classmates like you.

Liv 🙂

• Dear Liv,

Thanks for leaving a marvellous comment on my blog. I appreciate it.

Thanks for all of your nice compliments. You are a great role model for everyone.

I love everything we do at school. I love school. I love having days off aswell.

Miss Jordan is a wonderful teacher and I’m glad I have her again.

I am just wondering do you want to be a tennis player when you grow up?

Your good friend,
      Skye

4. Dear Skye,

Wow what a fantastico post about grade 4 my favourite thing about this year is writing the narritives about the gnome and the stories that we made.

from

shakira

• Dear Shakira,

Thanks for the awesome comment on my blog! I appreciate it. You are a wonderful blogger.

I have also enjoyed writing our narratives. Why do you like writing narratives? I like writing narratives because you get to think of an interesting problem and you get a chance to write the interesting words you have learnt.

From your friend,
      Skye ♥

• Dear Skye,

Thanks for repling to me I liked writing the narrtives because you can make your own story and imagination.

from

shakira :mrgreen: 🙂 :O